Thursday, May 25, 2017

Need Advice - One Book, One School


Reaching out to friends that have more experience than me. Yesterday was our last day of school for the year. Of course, that means I started thinking about next year. I went home yesterday and saw the trailer for Wonder.



Oh. My. Gosh.

I still remember reading this book. The class that just became Juniors yesterday in our district were in my fifth grade class. I did a Donor's Choose project at the end of the school year so that we could read it together and they could have their own copies. I knew then that this book was special and could inspire children everywhere. I was right.

Now, the movie is coming out in the fall. From what I've seen, I think it looks amazing. So.... I began dreaming. 

I've never participated in a one book, one school program, but if there was a book made for that, it would be Wonder. The potential I can see for this book being read by almost 400 students and teachers in our middle school this fall, for kicking off the year with the message of #choosekind, well, I think it would be amazing. 

Where you come in is that I have no idea how people do this. If you have any experience, please either weigh in below or contact me. What I'm wondering is: 

How do you get 400 copies of a book? 
Did you have kids purchase them?
Did the school?
Did you do a fundraiser? Donors Choose or what?
What else did you do beyond reading the book together. 

My mind is whirling, but I'm grateful to mull this over as I relax at home this summer. Yay for some time off and thanks for any advice. 
 
Imagination Designs
Blog design by Imagination Designs Images from the Just Because kit by Laurie Ann