Monday, June 6, 2016

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 6/6/16


I love joining Teach Mentor Texts and Unleashing Readers each week to share my reading life. 

As you might notice from the dates on the Goodreads screenshot below, it has been a few weeks since I've done a Monday post. But darn it, there are too many great books I've read, so I'm sharing them all below:




I've already noticed my reading life changing a bit since I said goodbye to my fifth grade classroom and hello to the world of middle school. I'm reading more YA books. I read a ton of fabulous picture books at the bookstore, but I haven't bought any because I have to know exactly what I will be using that book for before I buy it. Time in lessons will be short, and picture books will be read, but I need to use most of my book buying cash to fill the YA gaps in my library. And then there is the issue of no space left to unpack books. Sigh. 

At any rate, the books above? Amazing. Specifically, The Raven King made me cry because I couldn't handle the series begin over. The Girl Who Drank the Moon made me cry because Kelly Barnhill is just so flipping brilliant I cannot stand it. Seriously? Who writes like this every single time? SO GOOD. Yaks Yak is a picture book with word play that I'll likely buy for my classroom once I can figure out where I'll put it. The Airport Book is the modern day version of Richard Scary's books. Loved it. Bera and Hilo are new graphic novels for the classroom that my students will devour. And Rad American Women from A-Z taught me about several amazing women that I didn't know. 

So many good books, so little time. I do love summer for the chance to catch up on my "to read" piles that have grown out of control.