Sunday, January 10, 2016

The Most Exciting Day of the Year...

Tomorrow is a big day in my world. I'm not a big fan of most awards shows. Someone told me that tonight's the Golden Globes, but it's not my thing. Tomorrow morning, however, is another story. It is a big day in children's lit - the American Library Association's Youth Media Awards.

I've held a Mock Caldecott this year and a Mock Newbery. My students and I have debated favorites, cheered for books we love, recommended books to friends. I am giddy over seeing what books are honored tomorrow.

This year I have a long list of favorites, many I would be glad to see win. I'm also just as excited to see if there are books I don't know. New books to check out, read, and recommend. As much as I read in a year, there are only so many books I can get to, and I haven't read them all.

The awards begin at 8am on the East Coast, when most of my students will just be getting up and ready for school since we are an hour behind. Still, some are meeting me at 7:30am to cheer on our favorite authors and watch the end of the announcements together. 

If you'd like to watch the live-stream tomorrow, check it out here: ALA WEBCAST.

And authors and illustrators - thanks for an amazing year of reading once again.