Friday, March 7, 2014

Slice of life - How They Make Me Smile


Slice of Life is sponsored on Tuesdays by Two Writing Teachers. For the month of March we are posting a slice each day on our blog. Join in! 

Today was just one of those days that can drag you down. One of those days that seem like education is too much. Too many new rules. Too much emphasis on a test that I truly don't believe in. Too much focus on children doing what we believe is "right", forgetting that they are only eleven. It was one of those. That being said, the thing that makes it an awesome day - a spectacular day even - are the faces you see above. 

It is when I feel my day going downhill that I stop quickly and reflect on what is going well. When I do that, even for a few seconds, I always feel better. Here are just a few moments I paused on at the end of my day. 

Today we celebrated writing. Groups took photos of the level 1, level 2, and level 3 slice of life groups. 

We talked about books - the newest one I had read was about football and concussions. The waiting list is very long. 

We talked about that dreaded test. How I am certain they will all rock it and how glad I will be when they are over. 

And we read. And we wrote. and commented on writing. It was a glorious day. 

At the end of the day I looked up from the front table during study hall. There were only six kids in the room - the rest of the group was in band. Normally I might see some reading going on - and a lot of side conversations. Today I saw kids with iPads and laptops in their laps. I moved around the room, looking over their shoulders, they were all happily writing - just because they felt like it. I sat back down at my table feeling a bit like the Cheshire Cat, trying to suppress my smile. Yes, I think we're in a good place in our classroom. 

Note: If you have a spare moment and can fill out this survey I posted yesterday, I would be so grateful. Thanks!