Monday, February 3, 2014

Slice of Life - Markers


I want to share a new part of my day – a slice of my life that I find joy in each evening. One purchase created this part of my day. One purchase became an incentive for me to journal, an incentive for me to find time to reflect each day. Here it is:


It doesn’t take much for me to get excited about writing. Office supplies often do the job. Staples is one of my favorite stores. I could stare at post-it notes in all of their many colored and shaped glory for hours. So it should come as no surprise when I was looking for a way to entice myself to journal more, I turned to markers.


These aren’t just any makers, but the perfect markers. Sharpies, my first love, will bleed through the page. These beauties from Martha Stewart do no such thing.

And so I find myself curling up most nights with my Moleskine, trying to document my day in five minutes or less. Just adding a bit here and there on the page to reflect back on. The date goes down first. Then, channeling my grandmother – the farmer’s wife – a bit about the weather. Some items that are on my mind, or something I did that day follows next. Finally, a quick word and a number – Balance, my One Little Word of 2014 and the number (1, 2, 3) of how I’m doing with that goal for the day.



I love my journaling time. No stress, no pressure, just time to write. I love the feeling of the markers flowing over the page. I love the way the color makes things stand out and become important. I love transferring the same concept to the idea of reflecting on our reading and wonder what my students will think when we talk about it tomorrow.



Markers. Such a simple item, such a huge impact. 
Slice of Life is sponsored every Tuesday by Two Writing Teachers