Monday, November 4, 2013

Our Mock Caldecott List

Last year Margie Myers-Culver joined me in my first ever Mock Caldecott unit. It was amazing! We picked a little over twenty books, the kids read them and discussed them, talked about the Caldecott criteria, and then we voted on which book should win. Once each of our three classes had a list of winners, we joined classes via Skype to tell what we loved about the books.

This year we’re beginning a bit earlier to be able to celebrate these books during Picture Book Month, which is celebrated in November each year. These are the books we’ve selected to study:



I’m so excited to begin studying these books with my students. I’m going to try to combine the study of these books with some lessons I’m taking from Chris Lehman and Kate Roberts wonderful new book, Falling in Love with Close Reading. I think it could be a great way to examine each text.


Have you read any of these titles? Any favorites for you or your students? I’ll report back when we’re done with our unit as to the favorites from our students.