Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Slice Nineteen - Parenting


Slice of Life is sponsored every Tuesday by Stacey and Ruth from Two Writing Teachers. For the month of March we are challenging ourselves to write a Slice A Day.


Last March during the Slice of Life Challenge I wrote about parenting. You can read it HERE. I was thinking about being a parent yesterday. Mainly because my boys seem to be growing up so fast.

Independent
Feed
Dress
Entertain themselves.

Stay home on their own.
Walk to and from school.
Bike to friends.

Huge
Luke has ½ inch to pass me
Liam’s feet are just about my size.

Friends
Most days they play together
Planning out what they are doing.

Ten and seven
How have the years gone so fast?
There are days I pray that they will slow down.

And then, last night Luke said he didn’t feel well. He didn’t want dinner. He didn’t want ice cream. WHAT? And then, the upchucking began. Oh boy. Looking at his face – so sick and so sad. He knew this meant a friend coming over in the morning had to be cancelled. A sleepover too. He didn’t look so old anymore. In that ten-year-old face I could see the little boy he had been. It was a brief moment. I reassured, rubbed his back, prayed he’d feel better.

I glanced over at the sink, looked at my toothbrush. Uh oh, where my toothbrush usually resided was Luke’s. We have the same style. I must have grabbed his this morning by accident. He leaned over to get sick again, and my stomach dropped. Here’s hoping that my body decides to rock this virus and I don’t end up in this same position by tonight. Darn flu.