Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The Countdown has begun…


Anyone who teaches in an elementary school knows how hard it is to have the kids stay focused in the days before Christmas. This year we had four full weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas. And while I adore my students – I’m not going to lie – we need a break. J

I think knowing kids and what they can handle at this time of the year is critical. My students have been wrapping up their own comics in our writing workshop – polishing the final drafts. In reading we’ve been a part of a Mock Caldecott unit. Each day has found students spread across the room, examining picture books, debating the medium the illustrator used, voting for favorites.

There have been some amazing discussions I’ve eavesdropped in on as well. Ones about horrific events – Sandy Hook – but ones about wonderful things as well. There have been book recommendations, discussions about books for reading over break. Comments about the dance some are going to on Friday. And plans made to get together over the next two weeks.

Today I added to the conversation. Project for Awesome is wrapping up, raising more than $450,000 for charities. I wore my “Keep Calm and DFTBA” t-shirt to school today. Shared what the Project for Awesome did. I taught my students about the website Kiva. We discussed how we can each impact the world. And then I showed my students the video below. We discussed how we are all more alike than different. How if we can open our hearts to others, the world would truly be a better place. And we thought of how blessed we are.

This time of year many of my students are looking forward. Making lists of everything they “need” for Christmas. Today was a great reminder to us all; often we have all that we need. We are truly blessed.