Monday, November 26, 2012

It's Monday! What are you Reading?



 I’m joining Jen & Kellee (and many other bloggers) in discussing what we are reading this week. Join us! Go to their site and link up your own blog.

I promised my students as we were leaving school on Tuesday that I would read a book a day. Now I did put in the caveat that I could read picture books or graphic novels as well. It turned out I read a ton regardless. Still not emptying the “to read” shelves – but when boxes are shipped back from NCTE full of books, that makes it all the more difficult.

Here’s what I read last week:



Hard to pick a favorite, but if I did it would absolutely be Linda Urban’s Center of Everything, and not just because my niece is a dead ringer for the girl on the cover, this is one amazing book. (Which isn’t that surprising, Linda Urban wrote it. I’m pretty sure she could write a grocery list and I’d read each word like a treasure.)

Coming up:

I’m reading Penny Kittle’s amazing book for teachers, Book Love. What can I say, buy it. Penny teaches high school but it doesn’t matter. Her words, her message, are for all of us.

I’m also halfway through Bomb by Sheinkin. This is a dense non-fiction book about the making of the atomic bomb. I say dense because you aren’t going to pick it up and breeze through it. That being said, I love this book. The history major in me is eating it up, albeit making me take my time. This won’t be a book for every kid in my class – it’s a bit difficult. But I always have those kids obsessed with any and every thing about wars, weapons, etc. They will love this.

Happy Reading!
Katherine