Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Slice of Life - Where I'm From


Slice of Life is sponsored every Tuesday by Stacey and Ruth from Two Writing Teachers.

My students and I are studying George Ella Lyon's Where I'm From poem this week and next. This lesson idea has been around for awhile but I love seeing the directions my students take their poems. Joining them, I crafted one my self. 

Where I’m From

I’m from cornfields and clouds.
Where the road dips over the last hill into the bowl.
I’m from grain elevators and pizza with a sweet red sauce.
A space where everyone knows your name.

I’m from a time of kick-the-can and five o’clock whistles.
A time of freedom as a child.
I’m from summers of bike riding, swimming,
And baseball game watching.

I’m from warm embraces
And the notion that first impressions count.
I’m from high expectations
Where I was taught by example.

As I glace over family pictures I see…
My eyes, my statue, my nose.
Looking deeper I wonder…
Where is my stubbornness, my loyalty, my sense of justice from.
Through all of those eyes I know where I’m from.