Monday, January 16, 2012

It's Monday, what are you reading?



I’m joining Jen & Kellee (and many other bloggers) in discussing what we are reading this week. Join us! Go to their site and link up your own blog.

This week I am proud to say I conquered my “white whale”, that beast of a book, The Story of Mankind. And I cannot say I loved it, or even liked it. I did learn some information and it is obvious that the author knows his stuff. Check out my post and video about the book here:


As for the rest of the week, here’s what I read:

The Story of Mankind by Hendrick Willem Van Loon (#nerdbery)
The Boy Who Bit Picasso by Antony Penrose
*Dragonbreath: Revenge of the Horned Bunnies by Ursula Vernon
Rumpelstiltskin by Jacob Ludwig Karl Grimm (#nerdcott)
John Henry by Julius Lester (#nerdcott)
Journey Cake, Ho! by Ruth Sawyer (#nerdcott)
Tops & Bottoms by Janet Stevens (#nerdcott)
Raven: A Trickster Tale from the Pacific Northwest by Gerald McDermott (#nerdcott)
Levi Strauss Gets a Bright Idea: A Fairly Fabricated Story of a Pair of Pants by Tony Johnston
Saint George and the Dragon by Margaret Hodges (#nerdcott)
The Rooster Crows: A Book of American Rhymes and Jingles by Maud Petersham (#nerdcott)
Belinda and the Glass Slipper by Amy Young
The Village of Round and Square Houses by Ann Grifalconi (#nerdcott)
The Ugly Duckling by Hans Christian Andersen (#nerdcott)
The Talking Eggs by Robert D. San Souci (#nerdcott)
*A Dog is a Dog by Stephen Shaskan
A Story, a Story Gail E. Haley (#nerdcott)
*Stone Soup by Marcia Brown (#nerdcott)
The Treasure by Uri Shulevitz (#nerdcott)
*Drawing from Memory by Allen Say
Strega Nona’s Gift by Tomie dePaola (#nerdcott)
*The Emerald Atlas by John Stephens
The Fool of the World and the Flying Ship: A Russian Tale by Arthur Ransome (#nerdcott)
*Stealing Magic: A Sixty-Eight Rooms Adventure by Marianne Malone

I know it’s a lot, but there are a lot of picture books on there. I’ve put an * by anything I truly loved.

As for this week, I am reading:
Choice Words by Peter Johnston (a reread)
Thinking Through Genre by Heather Lattimer
The Mighty Miss Malone by Christopher Paul Curtis
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

And I’m sure I’ll check out another bag of Caldecott books from my library and maybe start the second Caldecott – The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle by Hugh Lofting. Have a great reading week!

Katherine